[#KeepgoingTOGETHER] Vol. 37 “letter”, “letter 2” by artist Rikuo Ueda
Q1.Impressions of your online distribution
The world was in a difficult situation due to the coronavirus in March of this year. And I wanted that we could get back a tiny smile and I was making a video work of about 90 seconds for it. I’m pleased to have the opportunity to distribute this to a large number of people as part of the EU・Japan Fest Japan Committee’s online activity funding program. Until now, this was my first experience with this online distribution because I only used email to send it to friends. I was confused because there were many things I didn’t understand, but it was a very good experience.
Q2. Fruition and Challenge Acquired through Online Activities
Until now, you just created a home page and uploaded it.I haven’t examined it in detail, but until now, it seems that it is only accessed by people who know the address of my home page.When I asked an acquaintance to deliver this work to Instagram, I was surprised to see 1001 accesses in a day and a half.I think it was because of the efforts of my friends.I thought that online distribution would be difficult without some knowledge.
However, 99% of them were overseas, so I didn’t know whether it was due to bad Japanese tagging or low interest in contemporary art in Japan.
Q3. Points of difficulty and innovations in preparation for online distribution
The hard part was that video editing and uploading to the online, which was a casual experience for me making a very analog installation work, took a lot of effort and time. It’s a pity that we spend a lot of time responding to electronic devices and websites that change day by day. Ideally, it’s up to do others, except the artwork.The trick was to keep the video as short and concise as possible and try to rely on the imagination of the viewer.
“letter”, “letter 2”
- Date: 19 May 2020
- Contents: The world is in a hard situation due to coronaviruses, But I hope everyone is doing well ! ! In such a situation, I made a work for regain our smile. I would be happy if you could have a tiny smile.
- Promotion tool: Facebook, e-mail, LINE, Instagram
- Distribution tool: YouTube
- Device to get a reaction from the audience: I asked a friend to post it on Instagram, and within a day and a half I got 1001 impressions, 325 likes, 99% of which were out of the country and very few domestic responses.
- Number of audience (in total): 1183