- The official European Capital of Culture program of the said year: The program activity must meet the criteria laid down in the decision on the European Capital of Culture Committee.
- The program activity have been either continued, developed or derived from a previous European Capital of Culture program.
- The program activity are to participate in the preparation phase of a future European Capital of Culture.
Criteria for selection
- The program activity must meet the criteria of our committee’s Basic Policy.
- Organizers and participating artists (or groups) must exercise thorough research, preparation and publicity regarding the program activity.
- Organizers and participating artists should be independent in every aspect and have a reliable budget
＊Note: Our Committee is not able to support enterprises when the following factors should apply. This will include program activities under the auspices of a European Capital of Culture or a governmental organization.
- Program activity without scope for further development beyond the said year or without lasting effects.
- Program activity without a cooperation system between the host city and the participating artists (or groups).
- Program activity without contribution to the long-term cultural and social development of the host city.