Boost mutual exchange between Japan and the European Capital of Culture for further collaboration!
The European Capital of Culture has grown into a global celebration of culture and the arts welcoming artists from over 100 countries around the world. To encourage further interaction between artists, artistic and cultural organizations in Japan and the European Capital of Culture, EU-Japan Fest has launched the “Passport Program”, a mobility support program for wider people related to art and culture.
Through this program, we hope that artists and cultural stakeholders from a variety of genres will visit and interact with Japan and European Capitals of Culture (ECoC), and create sustainable networks and programs for the future.
Who can apply?
Local resident artist and cultural stakeholders in Japan and European Capital of Culture (any nationality)
- Research festivals and programs held in the ECoC of the year (*)
- Research festivals and programs held in Japan
- Networking with local artists and cultural stakeholders, and other
*List of host cities of European Capital of Culture: https://www.eu-japanfest.org/n-culturalcapital/culturalcapital.html
Grant amount and payment details for each travel type
|Grant amount||Applicant||Grant payment|
|A-1||Local resident in ECoC of the year
|Any||100,000Yen||Participant||Cash (in Japan)|
|A-2||Local resident in Japan
→ ECoC of the year
|A-3||Local resident in Europe
→ ECoC of the year
|Japan only||50,000Yen||Participant||Bank transfer|
Application submission period
- Submission date: From January of the ECoC of the year to complete to support 50 applicants from Japan to ECoC / 50 applicant from ECoC to Japan.
- Deadline: 3 weeks before the participant’s departure date
How to apply
1. Please send an e-mail to EU-Japan Fest office to get the application form.
2. Fill in the all blanks of application form and submit as follows.
1. Application form by PDF file
2. Participant’s portrait photograph (size: larger than 1MB / 1200 x 1600 pixels）
3. Support request letter issued by current ECoC
*For past ECoC: Support request letter issued by the successor organization of ECoC or local cultural operator who is responsible for participants’ travel.
EU-Japan Fest Japan Committee：email@example.com
＊by E-mail or via file transfer service
Support Decision and payment method
- Notification of support decision: within 1 week from receiving application
- Payment method: cash or bank transfer (see above table)
- Payment date:
– For A-1 applicants:
The date of the meeting at EU-Japan Fest office (Tokyo)
*Participants should have a meeting with staff of EU-Japan Fest at the office in Tokyo during stay.
Meeting schedule is to be decided with participant.
– For A-2 and A-3 applicants:
Within 3 weeks after receiving all requirements of report after the travel
Requirement after the travel [IMPORTANT]
Participant should submit the followings within 30 days from his/her leaving date.
1. Passport Program report form by excel file
2. Photographs of research and meetings
Number: 5-10 photos
Size: larger than 1MB / 1200×1600 pixels
EU-Japan Fest Japan Committee: firstname.lastname@example.org
by E-mail or via file transfer service
within 30 days from participant’s leaving date.
Important information for applicants
・One application form for each applicant.
・Up to 2 people applying for the same project at the same time (each applicant should send application).
・Be sure to fill in all information required in the application forms.
Incomplete application forms and missing material (e.g. missing photographs, incomplete data) will result in rejection of the application.